I am sewing a large American flag quilt. It’s an idea that germinated last summer. How fun would it be to have a huge American flag, 4o in by 84 in, to hang up for 4th of July? I will admit, when I posed that question to my husband, he gave me a bit of a sidelong look and didn’t quite answer. But, I had been wanting to work on a large scale project ~ most art quilts I make are smaller, no bigger than 2 ft by 2 ft. Here, I could gain some experience working BIG with a simple geometric design. So, I printed of the exact dimensions of the American flag, bought 3 yards each of red, white, and blue Kona cotton…and did nothing.
This Spring, I started thinking about the project again and decided to make it happen. I dyed a yard of fabric blue using low water immersion dyeing.
I used flour paste resist and thickened black dye to give three yards of red fabric a crackled look.
I sponge printed 3 yards of white fabric to give it a subtle background texture.
Once all my fabric was created, I hand cut 50 American stars. I wanted the stars to have a rustic look to them, so I drew lots of free hand star templates that filled a 2.5 in diameter circle.
I fused them to the blue fabric and then went to work on the stripes. I wanted the stripes to have a bit of an uneven thickness to them, to kind of go with the rough cut stars. So, I varied the widths of the stripes by about 3/8 to 3/4 of an inch to give the piece a less precise look.
So, far I think it is coming together nicely. My next step, before quilting, is to add thread-sketched text to the stripes. I have picked the thread color, and I am just trying to decide among: words associated with America, the Declaration of Independence, or the Star Spangled Banner.
I am making major progress! At the rate I am going, it might even be finished before next 4th of July!